Darley Awards, Los Angeles, CA


Each year, the best of the best in Arabian Horse Racing are invited to the red carpet at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles, California to attend this lavish Grammy's style award show. Receiving a Darley Award is akin to winning an Oscar; holding the horse shaped golden statue is a highly coveted honor.

Check out this short video of my glamorous weekend!



When I received an invitation to the awards from the owner of the leading horse in the race, Scott Powell, I called up an old friend who lives in the area, knowing he'd love to experience this once in a lifetime event.

The Darley Awards - Dolby Theater

Upon arrival at the red carpet, guests are ushered down the red carpet to pose in front of the HH Sheikha Fatima Bint Mubarak posters. There were what seemed like hundreds of photographers flashing their cameras at us.


All I could think is, "Why are you taking my picture, I'm not important!" 

The Darley Awards, Red Carpet
Right to Left: Alma, Chance, Marcie, Me, Ryan
Darley Awards Red Carpet
Ryan and I

We were then directed up the famous carpeted stairs and into the Dolby Theater.  The beauty of the theater took my breath away.

The Dolby Theater
There was red everywhere. Rich red curtains, maroon booths, cherry red wood chairs, and deep red carpet. Gold laced the terraced balcony seating all the way up to the ceiling that seemed as if it reached the stars themselves. 

One of many Darley's awarded to Scott Powell

The show was beautiful, with many glamorous gowns and performance acts in between the awards. By the time it was over, we were all starving. Off to a cocktail party in the Dolby Theater lounge, then home to the Wilshire to rest up before the next day's adventure!

Santa Anita Horse Race - Los Angeles

Our Creative Hats
Santa Anita was my second horse race, the first being a race in Abu Dhabi, UAE in the fall of 2015 (click here to check it out). At Santa Anita Race Track, we spent the day watching races, sipping on sodas, and even took a visit to the Powell stables to see the famous Paddy's Day (who ended up winning the final race!)

Paddy's Day - Awarded Most Winning Horse of The Year

Of course, there was a hat competition at the race. I got started working on my hat several weeks in advance, and decided upon a miniature theme. My hat had a miniature replication of Paddy's Day, with Scott Powell standing next to it, and some Arabian Horse Racing Association officials in the background. 

Hat and Fashion Competition
As one of five winners, I had the opportunity to congratulate Scott Powell on his wins in a live interview on Yaz TV!

I can't wait to go back to LA for 2018's Darley Awards!

Comments

Popular Posts