Washington D.C., United States

Washington DC
White House, Washington D.C.
Lets go back a few years to my senior year of high school. Ordinarily, I wouldn't bring you back here to relive the memories of my quirky high school-self, but I have a good reason! In the spring of my graduation, I boarded a plane to Washington D.C. with 14 of my closest friends.

Since there were so many of us, and we were paying out of pocket, we had arranged to stay in the basement of a church just outside of D.C. proper to save money. While our nights were a little creepy, our days were full of laughing at each other, exploring on our own, and experiencing beautiful sights.
Washington DC
Jefferson Memorial at Sunset, Washington D.C.
I'm not ordinarily a museum person, but I'm a big fan of the International Spy Museum in D.C. Theres something compelling about the Spy Life, and, after visiting this museum, I found that I'm pretty good at sleuthing around! Who knows, if a normal job doesn't work out for me, maybe I'll become a spy.
Taking cover from the northeast rain!
Tickets for the International Spy Museum are $21.95 and it takes at least two hours to get through, so plan some time to learn how to adopt a cover, break codes, and test your own spy skills. Whats even cooler is that they now have an "Operation Spy Experience" where you and your team are tasked with solving a case just like real spies would! Definitely doing this when I go back to D.C.


Of course, we visited a slew of Washington D.C.'s famous monuments. We enjoyed all of them, but our best memories were made not viewing monuments, but being with each other. 
Washington Monument
Washington Monument, Washington D.C.
Washington DC
Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C.





















Washington D.C. being the seat of our government, we felt compelled to do something political. So we arranged to meet with our state's senator in his offices. We were asked to wear "business casual" clothing (not that us high school students understood what that was) and had to be on our best behavior. We felt so #adult as we all sat around a huge mahogany table talking with the senator in the back room of his office. I think that visit may have inspired one or two of us to pursue a career in politics. Or, at least, pursue a career as a senator's secretary (what a cool job)!
Washington DC
Jefferson Memorial at Sunset, Washington D.C.
Cherry Blossom Festival Activities





















Our trip was timed perfectly to align with cherry blossom season and the views of the Jefferson Memorial over the water at sunset were, perhaps, the most spectacular sight of the whole trip. Washington D.C. throws a week-long festival to celebrate cherry blossom season. Its definitely on my list of events to experience.


The 14 of us will always remember the memories we made together in Washington D.C. In fact, I can foresee a new location for our 10 year high school reunion. *wink wink, class president @kelliewolff

Have you visited Washington D.C? Did you pass the spy test at the International Spy Museum? Tell us about it in the comments section!
@2014machine, share your favorite moment on our trip to DC.

Comments

Popular Posts